The term khumin Northern Thai dialect refers to the residence of Chiang Mai’s royal family during the period when
Chiang Mai kingdom was a dominion of Bangkok. Khum varies in five different types depending on the royal ranks.
Traditionally, after the king dies, a new king will raze the former king’s residence and donate the materials to the
Buddhist temple, government or even sell them to private organizations. Such behavior has been regarded as a way of
paying respect to the former ruler.
Today, there are still some of these royal residences left. These include Khum Chedi Ngam, a former king’s residence
situated near the white pagoda by the Ping River, which is today the American Consulate; Khum Chao Lao Kaew near
Khum Kaew Palace; and Khum Chao Noi Maha Indra which is now the Lanna Architectural Center located close to Klang
Wieng Intersection inside the city wall.
The picture depicts Khum Rin Kaew formerly the residence of the crown prince, Chao Upraj Pongindra na Chiang Mai. It
is located on Huay Kaew Road close to Kad Suan Kaew. The picture was taken from a bird’s-eye-view by Uncle
Boonserm Satrabhya in 1969.
Khum Rin Kaew was built by Chao Kaew Nawarat, the last king of Chiang Mai. The exact time of construction still
remains unclear, but has been assumed to be some time between 1927 and 1933. The building is half wood, half
concrete and stylized by western architecture. There is a fireplace inside the house and temporary parking area for a
car in front of the door. Since it was constructed in the same period as Khum Chedi Ngam which is today’s American
Consulate, these two buildings share the same architectural structure.
Khum Rin Kaew was also temporarily resided in by Chao Dara Rasmi, Princess Consort to King Rama V, after the king’s
death before she moved to reside at Darapirom Palace in Mae Rim District. However, due to illness, Chao Kaew
Nawarat, the half brother of Chao Dara, invited her to stay at Khum Rin Kaew again in June 1933, where she lived until
her death on 9 December 1933.
Khum Rin Kaew was later resided in by Chao Pongindra na Chiang Mai, the son of Chao Kaew Nawarat and his family.
After the death of Chao Pongindra and his wife Chan Som, the place was then inherited by their children who moved to
build their own houses outside the city area. The building was thus removed and sold. Today, it has been replaced by
the apartment Huay Kaew Residence and the wood from the original building was donated to a temple in Sam
Photo and information are courtesy of Uncle Boonserm Satrabhya. Parts of the information are from the book Khum
Chao Nakorn Chiang Mai lae Khum Chao Burirat (Mahaindra) by Witoon Liewroongreung
Don's Life In Thailand
|Huay Kaew Residences Sits On Royal Land